How to Clean Aquarium Sand and Gravel
The cleaning time for aquarium sand and gravel depends upon the size of the aquarium. The larger the size of the aquarium also implies more sand and gravel which signifies more time needed in cleaning.
Nowadays, many people are buying an aquarium tank with adorable fishes in different genre. It is believed that the presence of an aquarium at home reduces stress and makes the person relax. However, problems arise when it comes to the cleaning process. Cleaning an aquarium does not beed to be necessarily done every week, but it is a must to maintain its clear water in order to keep the fishes alive and not to acquire any diseases.
Cleaning an aquarium is usually done once a month or twice a month depending on the presence of dirt and the color of the water inside. But the cleaning process can be very easy as long as you are knowledgeable about the whole cleaning process, and you are willing to work on it.
Here are the easy steps in cleaning aquarium sand and gravel:
- Get your pair of gloves. You can also clean the sand and gravel with bare hands or in whatever ways you prefer as long as you are comfortable with it.
- Make sure to unplug any electrical lines like pumps and filters. Remove the pump and filter out from the aquarium.
- Get basin for sand and gravel and scoop it out from the aquarium.
- Wash the sand and gravel separately. Most preferable to use is a running water to easily remove any debris.
- Scoop the sand and place it in the other container and wash it properly with the use of both hands. Take your time and be extra careful not to lose the aquarium sand.
- You will also do the same with the gravel. In washing the gravel, make use of running water and turn over the gravel several times. If you notice some large debris, just pick it up with your hands.
- Wash the sand and the gravel again until the desired cleanliness is achieved and place them in a separate container.
- After washing the aquarium, carefully place the sand in place along with the aquarium gravel.
The most efficient and hassle-free way in cleaning the aquarium is to use a siphon. You can purchase this online in an online aquarium shop or in any pet shop found at the city proper. But if you want to save money, you can just follow the above procedure and remove the water manually. The siphon works by removing the water out directly in your sink or by getting water to fill in the aquarium. The advantage of using a siphon is that in most cases, the debris may not be totally removed. Using your bare hands is still the best approach in maintaining the ideal cleanliness of your aquarium.
Related Cleaning Tips
How did this cleaning tip work for you? Do you have any tips, advice or questions – please let us know below!
Your contribution will help CleaningTips.com grow and provide the best quality tips for others!