Retainers are mainly used to reposition your tooth alignment. For those people who are not satisfied to their teeth’s alignment and position, they submit themselves to their dentist.
Retainers are commonly made up of wires or plastic that is custom-made that functions in holding the teeth in a position right after a surgery or any method. Retainers are advised to be worn at night and worn as you will be eating too. There are three types of retainers, the Hawley, essix and bonded retainers. Essix is a brand name that is being associated with VFR or the vacuum formed retainer. It is a clear and transparent that is produced from mold. Essix are worn 24 hours and it has the fastest effect among the other types of retainers. It is also less expensive and much easier to be worn than the Hawley retainers.
The goal of cleaning your essix is to prevent you from having cavities or plaques. It is true that essix has the high risk of acquiring cavities and plaques because it is worn 24 hours or the whole day. It is very important for you to be guided on the proper way on how you clean your essix retainers in order to achieve your goal of zero cavities and plaques. Here is a simple procedure for you to be guided.
- Retainer Cleaning Solution
- Warm Water
- Retainer Case
- Bowl or Cup
- Rinse your Essix retainer with warm water. Do not use boiling water for it can damage your retainers.
- Put some retainer cleaning solution on the bowl or cup. In this step, follow the procedures written in the box of the retainer cleaning solution. Be sure to follow the steps and the allotted time to soak your retainers. However, do not let them soak in the solution for too long or for a whole day because the solution’s concentration might damage your retainers.
- Go to a faucet and rinse your retainers using the running water. The force of the running water will remove any excess or clinging retainer cleaning solution.
- Pat the retainers dry using a towel.
- Put your retainer back in its case. Make sure that the retainer case is also clean.
Improvised Procedure in Cleaning Essix Retainers
- White Vinegar
- Retainer Case
- Fill the cup with white vinegar.
- Soak your retainers in the vinegar for about three to five minutes. The acid of the vinegar will kill the bacteria present in your retainers.
- Remove the retainers from the vinegar and gently brush it using a soft-bristled toothbrush. Do not use a hard-bristled toothbrush for it can scratch the Essix Retainers, especially if it is a clear one. Also, do not brush it roughly for it may also scratch the retainers.
- Soak the retainer to a cup filled with fresh water. Let it rest for about three minutes. This will neutralize the acid of the vinegar.
- Remove the retainer and rinse it with running water.
- Tap the retainer dry using a towel and put it back to its retainer case.