How to Clean an Exterior Brick
Exterior bricks are used in houses to provide protection, durability and finishing touches. These bricks are not easily damaged and stained. However, due to weather conditions and environmental factors, dirt, dust and other particles may build up on the bricks and needs to be cleaned.
These are the steps in cleaning exterior brick:
- Gather the materials needed for cleaning exterior brick like bleach, garden hose, spray nozzle, basin or pail, scrub brush and water prior to cleaning.
- Attach the spray nozzle to the garden hose. This will provide a better aim and to the hose.
- Start your cleaning by using the garden hose with attached spray nozzle and spray off any dirt or loose particles from your exterior brick.
- Examine the exterior brick closely in order to find mold or mildew. If there are none, just continue washing but if there are, proceed to the next step.
- In a pail, mix the bleach with water. The most advisable ratio for this mixture is one cup of bleach to one gallon of water. Dissolve and incorporate the two substances well.
- Wet your bricks with water first before proceeding to the next step. Try to wet them with water as much as possible. This will prevent discoloration if the bleach starts to come in contact with the exterior brick.
- Dip your scrub brush in the bleach and water mixture and start scrubbing off the mold and mildew from the bricks. Also, try to penetrate the divisions between bricks because that is the most likely place to have mold and mildew. Scrub these parts well.
- After scrubbing, rinse the exterior bricks well with water. Make sure to remove any bleach residue or excess bleach. If there is any bleach left, this might result to discoloration of the brick. Let the bricks dry.
- If the dirt or stains in the bricks are too much for the bleach to handle, you can also consider using cleaning solution that is made for the type of bricks that you have. When using this cleaning solution, instead of just wetting the bricks make the bricks absorb the water before brushing it down with this solution. This ensures that the brick will not absorb the cleaning solution which may result to staining.
Cleaning the exterior bricks can be really difficult but with proper materials and cleaning procedures, dirt and other particles will surely be removed. If the stains and dirt are really stubborn use other cleaning products or go to a nearest hardware store for brick cleaners.
Related Cleaning Tips
How did this cleaning tip work for you? Do you have any tips, advice or questions – please let us know below!
Your contribution will help CleaningTips.com grow and provide the best quality tips for others!